From Academy to Community: A Century of Growth, Faith, and Service
To build Notre Dame Academy, the Sisters sacrificed their many years of savings and borrowed nearly $100,000. Because the total cost of construction exceeded both the loan and their savings, the Sisters issued an appeal to the Czech community through a Czech Catholic newspaper in September 1925.
On August 15, 1926, the Academy building was dedicated, and classes began that September with ninth, tenth, and eleventh grades. Twenty-six young women enrolled in the school’s first year.
Growth came quickly. In 1928, Notre Dame Academy received accreditation from the University of Nebraska, and enrollment increased to thirty-nine students. By the 1930–31 school year, enrollment had reached fifty students, and by 1935–36, eighty-three students attended the Academy.
As both the school and the Congregation grew, additional space became necessary. Because the Provincial Motherhouse no longer provided adequate room, the Sisters completed another portion of the original building plans—the front section of the Motherhouse. The project cost an estimated $56,067, exhausting the Sisters’ savings and creating an additional debt of $6,000. The new wing was blessed in August 1937 and included a chapel that also served as the main entrance to Notre Dame Academy.
The 1937–38 school year brought another milestone: the opening of a grade school at the Academy. Since St. Philip Neri School was located only five blocks away, the Academy accepted only boarding students. Seven pupils enrolled in the new grade school program.
In 1950, another major addition expanded the campus and provided additional space for the growing community of Notre Dame Sisters. This new wing served as a place of prayer, leadership, formation, hospitality, and daily community life. It reflected both the continued growth of the Academy and the expanding ministries of the Sisters throughout the region. Each summer, Sisters returned from their missions to renew community bonds and continue their education.
In 1957, Rev. James Hannan, SJ, built the Shrine to St. Joseph on campus to commemorate the Congregation’s Golden Jubilee.
The Academy continued to evolve. In 1958, kindergarten classes opened at Notre Dame Academy, welcoming boys for the first time. The kindergarten program continued until 1962.
By 1964, enrollment had grown significantly, drawing students from Omaha and surrounding communities. To accommodate this growth, another major addition was constructed, expanding classroom space and modernizing the campus. The new wing reflected the Academy’s strong reputation for academic excellence and the Notre Dame Sisters’ continued commitment to providing a faith-centered, well-rounded education for young women.
A significant transition occurred in 1974 when Notre Dame Academy merged with the Christian Brothers’ Rummel High School to form Roncalli Catholic High School. The merger expanded educational opportunities in North Omaha and laid the foundation for a school that continues to thrive today.
Following the merger, the Academy building entered a new chapter. It became a center for community events, adult education, spirituality programs, social justice initiatives, and hospitality.
In 1997, after careful evaluation of community needs and prayerful discernment, the Sisters recognized the growing need for affordable housing for older adults in the Florence neighborhood. They began the process of transforming the Academy into safe, affordable housing for seniors what is now known as Notre Dame Housing.
Today, 45 units are housed in two newer buildings, with an additional 62 units located within the original Academy building. Renovations were completed according to historic preservation guidelines, preserving the character and beauty of the original structure while adapting it for modern use. By December 2011, the renovation project was completed, creating 107 units of safe, affordable housing for seniors in Florence.
The campus continues to serve as the heart of the Notre Dame Sisters’ mission. The Motherhouse offices, chapel, and apartments for many of the Sisters remain here. From this place, the Sisters, their affiliated Associates, and countless friends and partners continue to serve the community, addressing human trafficking, supporting survivors of domestic violence, welcoming immigrants and refugees, and responding to the needs of the times.
A century after its founding, the Notre Dame Campus remains what it has always been: a place where faith, education, community, and service come together to transform lives.
