The Early History of the Notre Dame Campus

The land on which the Notre Dame Sisters’ campus stands has a rich history dating back to the mid-19th century. In 1855, the United States government granted a 160-acre tract of land to Mrs. Rhoda Rich as a pension following the death of her husband, Captain Israel Rich, who had served in the War of 1812. Over the next 65 years, the property passed through the hands of several owners.

On March 4, 1904, Lucy C. Harding Polack of Omaha purchased two parcels of the original tract, known as Blocks 185 and 186. Four or five years later, she built the residence that would become the foundation of today’s Notre Dame campus. Harding attempted to operate a large poultry and cattle farm known as Seven Oaks, but the venture was unsuccessful. The farm could not produce enough feed for its livestock, forcing her to purchase additional supplies and accumulate significant debt. Unable to sustain the operation, she eventually sought to sell the property.

In 1919, Father Edward J. Flanagan was searching for a home for the boys in his care, who were then living in a rented facility known as the German Home. Archbishop Jeremiah J. Harty purchased the Seven Oaks property on September 10, 1919, intending it to serve as the future location of Boys Town. At the same time, Archbishop Harty had invited Mother Qualberta Krivanac and four Sisters from Bohemia to minister to Czech immigrants and teach at the boys’ home.

As Boys Town quickly expanded, Father Flanagan realized the Seven Oaks property would be too small to meet the needs of the growing number of boys seeking shelter. He decided to sell the farm and invited Mother Qualberta to view the property. Despite snowy weather and challenging travel conditions, Mother Qualberta recognized its potential as a novitiate and motherhouse for the Sisters. The Notre Dame Sisters purchased the property from Archbishop Harty for $14,000 on September 10, 1919.

The Sisters immediately began transforming the former poultry farm into a religious community. With assistance from Boys Town residents, volunteers, and benefactors, they removed chicken houses and other farm structures, established vegetable gardens, and planted fruit trees, grapevines, and berry bushes.

In the fall of 1920, construction began to expand the residence by adding a chapel and additional rooms. The masonry, carpentry, roofing, and painting work totaled $6,465.75, with carpenters earning $1.12 per hour.

By the end of 1920, the former Seven Oaks poultry farm had become a novitiate for the formation of new Sisters and a centrally located motherhouse serving 48 Sisters who taught in eight elementary and high schools throughout Iowa and Nebraska.